Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Still At It!

We, Renn Reed and Mark L. Barth, are genuinely honored that the following have taken the time to write to me to express the following encouraging remarks. The Sundance Institute’s Producer in Residence Feature Film Program Anne Lai has been kind enough to share with us that they, Sundance, have not only “…become fans of our project, “LOST ANGELS[The Discovery]…[Dececmber 21, 2009]“, but that they, Sundance, feel it has “tremendous merit and potential…[October 27, 2010]” and that it made for even a tougher selection process this year”.  We knew going in and applying for the Sloan Commissioning Grant of $25,000 that we probably wouldn’t make the cut being that our feature-length film is an action, thriller, drama, not a documentary.

And when we applied for the 2011 Sundance Film Festival we were fairly certain we wouldn’t make the cut there either, and we didn’t, despite the current Sundance mantra that they are having a “revolution”.  Fact is we just weren’t, aren’t, good enough. When John Cooper wrote me [Friday December 3, 2010] on behalf of the Sundance Programming team to “…thank (me)”, and to “not to be discouraged by this decision”, going on to say that “…we had far more worthy films than we had room for in the program”, I took heart in this.
For some odd reason I have been told by some involved in the film industry that I am “…an embarrassment to myself “.   Why?  Because I choose to make films as a fifty something.  But like Justin Bieber says, “Never Say Never”.  So I remind myself of requests from Malpaso Productions asked for our script in December 2008.  I was so excited I sounded like a 2 year old at Christmas.  Then in February 2009 Bruce and David Willis’ former company Willis Brothers Films asked for our script, I was equally as excited.   Just as I was honored and thrilled to have the opportunity to work and learn from all that I saw on set, when I was selected for the extra work in National Treasure Book of Secrets in May 2007 shot at Mount Rushmore, South Dakota.
I am grateful for all of our sponsors, they are truly our heroes, and we only have our words to thank them for all of their support through these last ten years.  Whether it was a one time donation, a discounted product, or donations outright, and of course all of those on-going donations, we can only show our appreciation through our efforts to keep trying and pushing forward always keeping in mind the importance to improve our understanding of their products, honing our talents, and hoping one day to succeed in achieving our goals.
For Example, Sony Creative Software has made it possible for me to explore my musical talents.  The couple of measures one hears at our website, http://www.LiquidIceEnt.com is the very first song I ever wrote.   I realize I have a long way to go in refining my musical talents and skills, but I actually wrote this myself on our keyboard, then took it into our Sony products and engineered it to what you hear on our website.  The entire piece can be downloaded for free at my LinkedIn.com website http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=8467278&trk=tab_pro, where one can also hear a song I engineered titled “Shut-UP!” written for the action sequences for our movie.


But of all the many hats I wear at Liquid Ice Entertainment the one that has been the greatest challenge has been scriptwriting.  Our original script, “LOST ANGELS[The Discovery]“, is currently with one of the top script consultants in the business.  I am so grateful and honored that this person is helping me, again saying thank you just isn’t enough.   I am a very detail-oriented person and having shot, directed, and produced over 50% of “LOST ANGELS[The Discovery]” for my “back-up plan”.  I have been learning that scriptwriting and scriptwriters in general, do not receive enough appreciation.
I realize as a novice scriptwriter that I have literally tons to learn.  But I know we have a good story or all of those stated above would not have asked for our original script.  But the art of scriptwriting is a challenge unlike any other I have ever known, be it editing, compositing, marketing, directing, etc.  It is an art form that challenges me to my very core.  So when I read that many movies have gone through numerous revisions some upwards of over 20, 30, 40 revisions, I take heart in my efforts to learn how to write a script the “right” way.  I believe it is something I can learn to do well, and the “right” way.  So when I am seriously disheartened as I am today by “IT” all.  I look at the different emails that Sundance and others, have written to me, and focus on remembering the wonderful compliments that professional people have given me.  I keep moving forward through the heartache of losing MY only desktop computer to hackers trying to get the script, even if I am “embarrassing myself”.
Because afterall what else do I have?  I am 57 years old and going on eight years of being unemployed.  We, Mark and I, have many good ideas for theatrical films some of which are illustrated on our website.  But even if am never able to produce these other projects, I will at least have honestly tried to make a go of it. For I must continue trying, if for no other reason, than to show our beloved best friend Steven J. Campbell, who suddenly fell ill and died March 2, 2001 from cancer of the sternum.  That he, Steve, coupled with my beloved husband Mark, did NOT waste his time and efforts to help my heal AND survive cancer of the cervix, twice back to back, just about one and a half years before he, Steve, fell ill and passed away.

Steve never gave up on me.  When I had cancer I got up to 400 pounds from the medicine and being too weak to do much of anything.   Steve never stopped dreaming that he, Mark, and I could make movies.  “Okay”, he would say, “we’re older, but we can do it.  It doesn’t matter that we’re nobodies, or poor, ofr that we have a lot to learn, we can do this…  we can find a way to make our dreams come true”. Well the tenth anniversary of burying our beloved friend and colleague arrives in two days March 2nd, and I have nothing to show him as he watches  us, rooting for us, from up there somewhere above.
AND although I have lost my only desktop computer to hackers trying to get our script; AND although recently our script was at another major house in Los Angeles where they told us they liked the script but it needs some more work; AND even though the financier with whom I had thought I’d been building a good, strong, business rapport with and who had referred me to this third house;  I have to and must find a way to move forward and I suppose create another back-up plan for my back-up plan.
Because somehow I am going to make this movie, “LOST ANGELS[The Discovery]” and make it the “right” way, which for me means this includes Bruce Willis as the male lead star.  So what that I dream large, I say shoot for the stars, maybe I’ll catch the moon. There are more stupid things I could be doing with my time like gossiping and ridiculing people because they dream large, as the handful of people have chosen to do about me.
Either way at least I am trying to do something constructive and meaningful with my time, talents, energy, etc.  I am working hard to make sure all of you naysayer’s don’t get to me or bring me so far down I give up on myself and my dreams.  When I go to bed at night I can at least tell myself the truth, I do keep trying, and trying to do it well.
Godspeed to you all.
Best,
Renn Reed, President
Liquid Ice Entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment

Liquid Ice Entertainment
Welcomes Your Constructive Comments.
Thank You,
Renn Reed, President
www.LiquidIceEnt.com